Thursday, April 20

First Pair of Socks and A Venture Through the New Vogue Knitting

I began my first pair of socks today: The Embossed Leaves Socks from the Winter 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. I bought some gorgeous Lanett wool sock yarn to make me some summer-colored socks. I also purchased some Brittany birch needles in size 1 1/2 (LYS owner's suggestion, the pattern called for 2's). I absolutely love the lace pattern and plan on posting a wee bit about these daily.

I was so looking forward to getting this book the other day. Now that I've purchased it, I've found it to be an indispensable resource for knitters, especially on their first pair of socks. BTW, there is a simple sock pattern in the book, but I felt it wouldn't be challenging enough. I hope I didn't jinx myself by picking a more complicated pattern.

Last, but most certainly not least, is the new Spring/Summer 2006 issue of Vogue Knitting. It is my favorite issue so far. I was photographing the pictures and had so many on my camera, I chose the most interesting. The skirt on the cover is my absolute favorite knitting pattern I've ever seen. It's just like something I would look for in a clothing store, which makes it absolutely brilliant.

A large aspect of this issue is crochet, as shown by this wrap/cardigan with beautiful crocheted edging. I would love to learn how to crochet this kind of edging, but I don't seem to have the co-ordination. Maybe I will pick up the new SnB book The Happy Hooker and try yet again.


So, wish me luck on my socks, I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Good luck with the socks. I've seen lots of people knitting them and everyone seems to enjoy it. I've seen them in person too, and they are beautiful!